Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Three months already...

I can't believe that I'm packing my bags. It doesn't feel like three months could pass so quickly. I'm feeling an odd mix of heart-pounding-in-chest excited and ridiculously sad. I've had such an amazing experience this summer and can't believe that I am lucky enough (dare I say blessed...) to have had the opportunity to meet all of these people and see some of the things I've seen.

I've promised several people that I will certainly come back to Uganda, and I sincerely hope that I can keep that promise. As cheesy as it sounds, I'm definitely leaving a part of my heart here and will always have a fondness for eastern Uganda, mostly because it provided me with my first international experience, and it was an outstanding and invaluable one at that.

Anyway, off to finish packing. By which I mean stepping around the piles of clothes in my room and going to bed, then loading them into a suitcase tomorrow. Mostly because half of my clothes are still wet since Regina left the laundry in the rain today. Awesome.

Also, funny story about buses in Uganda. We went to buy our tickets for the Elgon Flyer to Kampala tomorrow. If you remember from one of my earlier posts, the EF is the top bus from Mbale to Kampala. So, we went to EF office to buy our tickets today for a 10:30am bus tomorrow. When we were purchasing them, the agent told us to be sure to arrive at the bus stop at 9am for our 10:30am bus because the 10:30 bus left at 7:30am today. And I was the only one laughing at this statement. A) What good does it do for us to arrive at 9 if the bus is leaving at 7:39 anyway. B) Why in the world is the 10:30 bus leaving at 7:30 anyway. Isn't that why you buy tickets and have set times. So that a certain number of people can get on and they know what time to be at the bus stop. C) When I asked what time the next bus after the 10:30 bus leaves, she said 3:30. Even if the 10:30 bus leaves 3 hours early, the 3:30 bus still leaves at 3:30. I really don't understand transportation in Uganda. It's amazing I've managed to get anywhere.

Okay, Rwanda, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment