Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ready to leave...

So, my apartment's empty, my stuff is in storage, and my bags are packed (mostly). I guess I'm ready to go. Nrupa and I leave at 6:30 tonight, as long as the Icelandic volcano doesn't go off again and cause the Amsterdam airport to close. I can't believe that the day is actually here. I've wanted to work with TASO for about 4 years now, so the fact that I'm actually getting this opportunity is completely unreal.

I've heard so many stories from past fellows who have work with TASO telling me what an amazing experience they had and how fantastic all of the TASO employees are, so I know it's going to be a great time. But, being me, I'm still quite worried and a bit anxious. I just want to get there and start working.

We land in Uganda Thursday evening at 7:30 local time (12:30 on the East coast) and are spending the weekend in Kampala. We have an orientation at TASO Headquarters in Kampala on Monday, and then will be heading up to Mbale on Tuesday and probably start working at the local TASO Center there on Wednesday. So far we have trips planned (well, more discussed rather than planned) to Rwanda, Kenya (hopefully for a safari), and several places around Uganda. I'd like to go to Tanzania too if possible, but we may not have time/funds to get there.

Okay, off to finish packing...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess! I am so excited to hear about your summer! I'm reading Richard Dowden's "Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles" and have become completely enchanted with Africa. I hope your trip over was safe, and can't wait to read more blogs. Love, Emilia

    ReplyDelete